May is Be Kind to Animals Month
The first “Be Kind to Animals Week” was instituted by Dr. William O’Stillman the leader of the American Humane Association in 1915. The movement toward better treatment of children and animals was a harbinger of the country’s shift from survival to cultural progress.
As those who love animals and respect their place with us on this planet, we celebrate “Be Kind to Animals Month” with our pets.
Here are some actions you can take to Be Kind to Animals
- Spay or neuter your cats and dogs to reduce the number of unwanted animals that end up in shelters or rescues
- Create a safe outdoor space for your pet to enjoy the outdoors
- Adopt a pet from a shelter or rescue instead of buying from pet stores that may be getting their kittens or pups from kitty or puppy mills
- Learn about your pets’ natural behavior, so that you can understand it and teach them to live successfully with you in your home
- Install a cat or dog door so your pet can access the yard
There’s a dog door for every dog and cat door for every cat. Check out your options here.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” –Mahatma Ghandi
May 20, 2011 00:00