Don’t Forget Your Pets in Your Back to School Plans
Going back to school is an exciting time. Buying new clothes, school supplies and looking forward to the new adventures that the school year brings becomes the focus of your family’s activities.
Just as it’s important to gradually change your students’ schedules, getting your pet accustomed to being alone all day or without their playmates can be crucial too.
Anticipate Behavior Problems to Prevent Them
When your pet is used to having someone home with them most of the day, the sudden change of being alone can create anxiety. Sometimes that anxiousness creates unwanted behavior like chewing shoes or furniture, howling or excessive barking or even self-mutilation.
If you condition your pet to being alone gradually, most of these behaviors can be prevented.
Take It One Day at a Time
When you gradually leave your pet alone for longer and longer periods, he’ll be used to being home alone when school starts, so there will be no anxiety or restlessness and the accompanying negative behavior.
Tips for Transitioning to Fall Routines
- Exercise your pet before you leave for school or work – she’ll probably sleep most of the day
- Give your pet something to do while you’re gone – toys that hold treats will keep attention and give positive reinforcement
- Keep your departure low key
- Provide your pet with a special treat or toys that he gets only when you leave so he’ll look forward to your departure
- Get a high quality pet door so your pet can get out into your fenced yard to answer the ‘call of nature’
- Be ready to walk your dog or play with your cat when you get home to provide some much needed exercise and stimulation
Keep Your Pets Healthy and Happy with a Hale Pet Door
Pet doors can be installed in doors, walls, screens, and even right in glass! Because Hale Pet Doors are available in 11 sizes, there’s a Hale Pet Door to fit your pet and your home.
Check out your dog door options to find the perfect place in your home to keep your pets happy and healthy for the school year and beyond – Hale Pet Doors