5 Things to Know Before Your Dog Door Installation
If you’ve purchased a doggie door and want to save some money by doing the dog door installation yourself, there are some important things to know. Hale Pet Door’s pet access doors can be easily installed by someone with basic home improvement skills, but careful planning is extremely important.
Keep reading to discover 5 important things you need to know about dog door installation before getting started. This article explains how to install a doggie door so that your pet can use it safely, comfortably, and as effectively as possible.
What is Involved in a Dog Door Installation?
The key elements of installing a doggie door include careful planning, measuring, and having the right tools ready for ease of installation. There are also important considerations to be made, such as making sure the size of the dog door matches the size of your pet and finding the best location.
How Hard is it to Install a Dog Door?
Your new pet door should come with very detailed instructions. If you are a Hale customer, we make your new dog door installation a straightforward process for anyone familiar with home improvement tools.
The actual installation process will depend on the type of pet-access door you have. To learn more about our products and process, see the do-it-yourself installation page to download instructions for each type of Hale Pet Door – including the wall, window, door, and screen models.
What Tools Do I Need to Install a Dog Door?
There are some basic tools you will need to install a dog door, including:
- A power drill,
- and masking tape
Additional tools may be needed, depending on the model. It is always important to wear eye protection and gloves when working with tools.
5 Important Things You Need to Know Before Your Dog Door Installation
There are 5 important things to keep in mind with a dog door installation. Make sure that you:
- Have the proper size dog door for your pet. Your new pet-access door must be the right size for your pet. They may be able to squeeze through an opening that’s not the right size, but this could cause discomfort and serious injury. See our sizing information guide for our dog door size chart and measurement instructions.
- Read the instructions before starting the installation. You can also look up YouTube videos on how to install a doggie door.
- Pick an adequate location. The location of your pet’s access is incredibly important. Pay attention to how your “people door “is constructed to ensure that door won’t fall apart when you cut into it. If you’re going through a wall, it’s important to know what’s behind the wall – electrical wiring, pipes, bug lines, insulation, etc. You must also make sure the animal has adequate room to maneuver and to enter and exit safely. Be aware of what’s on both the inside and the outside of the opening.
- Have the proper tools. See the instructions for your new dog door model and collect your tools before you begin.
- Cut the hole to the proper specification for the size of the door. To ensure that you cut the proper size hole, follow the wisdom of the age-old adage, “measure twice, cut once” and use a pencil or marker and a cardboard template to indicate where you will be cutting.
With careful preparation, you’ll soon have a dog door installed that will make you and your pet very happy.
Hale Pet Doors Are Made for DIYers
Our pet doors are designed to be easy and straightforward for homeowners to install (except for in-glass models, which need professional installation). We offer step-by-step instructions to guide you along the way. If you need extra help, we have professionals that would be happy to complete the installation for you. Shop for the best dog doors now.