How to Keep Your Dog Entertained Indoors During Bad Weather
Well, it’s that time of year where the weather tends to get nasty. And although a lot of dogs enjoy romping in the snow, you still end up spending a generous amount of time inside and that can lead to boredom. We’ve compiled a list with some easy and fun ideas to keep your pooch occupied when it’s too cold to play outside!
- Practice training. What better opportunity to practice a little obedience training than on a gloomy day? Engaging with your dog by working on training is an excellent way to pass the time and they love that interaction between you. It’ll help him stay sharp on commands while getting some one-on-one time with his favorite human.
- Play find the treat! Investing in a toy, such as a Kong, that you can hide a treat in is totally worth it. Your dog will love searching for the treat and will feel so pleased with himself once he does!
- Snuggle up and take a nap with Fido. Seriously – just do it. It’s good for both of you!
- Make a playdate with a friend! If you have friends who also have fur-babies, chances are they’re suffering from being stuck inside as well. Invite them over and let them have some buddy time. It’ll get them nice and worn out.
- Get the brush out. If you’re like a lot of us, the usual grooming sessions are few and far between. Well, now’s your big chance. Sit down with your dog and take the time to give him a thorough brushing. Chances are he’ll absolutely love the attention from you – not to mention you’ll get to check a chore off the list!
- Set up a small obstacle course in your living room. Stack up some couch cushions, or anything you have around that can make for a fun obstacle course. This is a great way to interact and play with your pooch, while also helping them get some exercise and get tuckered out.
- Hide treats around the house and let your doggy sniff around searching for them. Get creative with your hiding spots and then just sit back and watch Fido have the best time looking for them.
- Get out the toys! Play some tug-o-war and get some energy burned! If you get into it enough, you’ll even burn some calories yourself, so it’s a win-win!