Have a Safe and Happy Easter for You and Your Pets
Easter is a favorite holiday for a lot of us. A day spent with time with the familiar, delicious food and treats, and fun activities. However, it also brings items into your home that can be very hazardous to your pets. We’ve compiled a list of some of the dangerous Easter items that your pet may come in contact with this holiday so you can feel more knowledgeable about what to keep out of reach!
This is probably something most of us already know about – chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs. Not only does it contain caffeine, but it also has a chemical in it called theobromine. Cats are most likely affected by it as well, but typically wouldn’t be interested in eating something sweet like chocolate. All types of chocolate are dangers, so it’s very important to always keep it safe and out of reach at all times. If you suspect your pet has consumed any chocolate, or is showing signs of illness such as breathing problems, diarrhea, or vomiting, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
A lot of the egg dye you’ll find in stores are non-toxic, since they’re usually made to be used by children. However, that’s not always the case and you always check the packaging before you choose a product. And although consumption of a non-toxic food dye is not likely to cause harm, our pet’s stomachs can be very sensitive and their system’s can sometimes react in unexpected ways so it’s best to avoid sharing anything with your pet that contains food dye.
Xylitol is a sweetener that is prevalent in many, many foods including peanut butter. This ingredient is highly toxic to dogs and can easily cause death. Even a small amount can make your dog extremely ill. Xylitol causes a rapid release of insulin into a dog’s bloodstream which causes a huge drop in blood sugar. Be sure to read the label of everything you bring into the house and if anything contains this ingredient, keep it safe and impossible for your pooch to reach.
Easter Basket Fillers
The plastic eggs, plastic grass, and other enticing items that often go in baskets can be quite tempting to both dogs and cats. These items can easily cause obstructions in your pet’s digestive tract and can be extremely dangerous. Keep a close on eye on all your pets so that they don’t chew on these things and become sick. If you see any signs of ingestion of these items, such as vomiting, lack of appetite, dehydration, or any other unusual symptoms, contact your veterinarian right away.
Keeping these tips in mind will help you and all your four-legged friends all have a fun, happy, and above all safe Easter celebration.